Careers at PAA
At PAA, we believe that by continuously transferring new ideas, design and technology into our range of products we deliver the complete laboratory automation solution. Our reputation for innovation and engineering excellence underpins our continued growth.
Working within our multi-disciplinary team, you will be involved in the development and production of our hardware and software products. We also have positions available for highly motivated sales and service personnel.
We offer careers based at our European headquarters in Farnborough, UK and at our US headquarters in Colorado. Our team grew by over 30% in 2018 and we are always looking for talented individuals.
If you would like to apply for any of the vacancies listed below, please send your CV in the first instance to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We currently have 2 vacancies for this role; one based on the East Coast of the USA and one based in Farnborough in the UK.
We are looking for a senior applications specialist who has experience in the development of robotic workcells, preferably in the life science or consumer products industry. The main purpose of the job is to provide support for PAA’s activities in both the USA and UK. This will include project management, workflow programming (using our proprietary Overlord™ software), robot teaching, instrument integration and customer support. Working alone, but as a member of the integration team, you will be an enthusiastic focused problem-solver who is self-motivated and with an eye for detail.
- Project management. Be entirely responsible for delivering customer solutions based on instrument integrations
- Overlord Implementation. Work with customers to understand requirements, document the required configurations and workflow. Implement these requirements in existing or new robotic workcells
- Robot Programming. Have a broad knowledge of the functionality of industrial articulated and SCARA robotic arms
- Sales and Business support. Participate in sales visits to support the sales team at customer locations
- Service and Support. Handle phone calls from customers and provide first level technical support to the customer
- This position reports into the Integration Manager based in Farnborough, UK
Key Job Skills
- A background in software, research informatics or other relevant area
- Relevant experience in life science/bio-pharmaceutical industry
- Ability to work well alone in unsupervised customer locations and as a member of a small team
You will be degree-level educated in a numerate discipline, ideally with a background in Biochemistry/Chemistry
For further information and a full job description please contact us.
This role focuses primarily on servicing and maintaining robotic and automated laboratory equipment across the United Kingdom and Northern Europe; travel to the United States of America may be required. Candidates can expect to work to some aggressive deadlines in sometimes complex circumstances. A positive attitude towards solo problem solving is essential for a Service Engineer. This is a challenging role and most suited to individuals with strong IT, Electrical and Communication skills that enjoy travelling and work well as part of a team. Domestic and international travel required between 50-70% of time to support installation/repairs /upgrades/ PMs.
Electro-Mechanical responsibilities include:
- Become familiar with all aspects of laboratory automation and assembling bespoke automated systems
- Assist with the manufacture of laboratory workcells as required. This will help to build a strong understanding of PAA systems before the Engineer is sent into the field alone
- Part of the installation team to re-assemble robotic workcells on our customers sites globally
- Attend customer site on short notice to analyse reported issues and perform repairs
- Communicate accurately with customer and formally record agreements between Service and Engineer and Customer on paper or via e-mail
- Assist customers remotely to identify nature of reported issues and resolve where possible, before conducting site visit
Key Job Skills include:
- Problem solver able to overcome unforeseen challenges quickly & effectively
- Understanding of PC- Based systems (TCP/IP, RS232)
- Fundamental programming skills advantageous
- Independent thinker with acute attention to detail
- Proficient in using hand power tools such as circular & jig saws, drills & taps
- Highly motivated, passionate and results-driven
- Previous experience of working effectively in project teams to deliver projects on time and to budget
- Solid organisational and multi-tasking skills
- A proven history in mechanical, automation engineering or related discipline
- Technical qualification in electrical engineering, robotics or related field
- Clean UK Driving Licence
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
Job brief: PAA is seeking a talented and motivated Compliance and Safety Risk Manager with an emphasis on Robotic Safety and Safety Systems. This position is responsible for new and existing product support related to regulatory compliance. The ideal candidate will be a highly organised team player with excellent communication skills. The candidate will have a strong understanding of the regulatory compliance schemes and the process required to specify, test, qualify, document and maintain certifications related to Machine Safety and Functional Safety compliance for domestic and international markets.
- Interpret and apply regulations, standards and PAA requirements to new technologies/products
- Work with external testing houses to ensure certifications are achieved and maintained
- Conduct external Risk Assessment, Design Reviews, Factory/Site Acceptance testing and launch support
- Manage the certification of the PAA product range
- Prepare technical files for CE certification
- Be knowledgeable of forthcoming changes to rules and regulations for certifications
- Provide Safety & Compliance input during the product scoping to identify any concerns for operators interacting with the equipment
- Evaluate and review schematics and drawings and provide Safety & Compliance input during product development/early design
- Leverage support processes, systems and tools to resolve safety related technical problems
- Track issues through resolution phase, engaging technical subject matter experts as needed
- Create and maintain problem resolution procedures and identify need for new tools to support existing solutions
- Work with the engineering team to understand safety issues and solution options
- Compile data to facilitate analysis by the management team
Key Job Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, safety or a related science-based field
- 5+ years’ experience applying safety principles and addressing safety issues in a manufacturing, warehouse or other operations focused environment
- Experience working on bespoke robotics/machines
- Technical problem-solving and analytical skills
- Excellent written and oral communications skills with the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- 5+ years of safety experience, preferably certified, in relation to robotics
- Experience supporting safety programmes by means of identifying equipment needs, documentation needs, support equipment needs, staging and support of equipment to be tested, debug capabilities, etc.
- Experience of interacting with customers, regulatory agencies, test labs, etc.
- Ability to multitask
- Advanced Degree (Science or Engineering)
- Experience working in an industrial/warehouse environment
- Robotic and automation safety ownership
- Escalations requiring rapid response
- Understanding of product safety concepts and techniques
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of issues
- Experience working with others to implement new systems
In this role you will be the first impression of PAA when greeting visitors and answering calls, so providing a positive image is key. This is a varied role both on Reception, organising meeting rooms and supporting other colleagues as necessary. Being organised and able to multitask is essential, along with the ability to think pro-actively with the opportunity to mould the role as the company grows.
- First to answer all general inbound calls and direct enquires accordingly
- Open and distribute post
- Answering the Front door
- Meet and greet visitors
- Managing Meeting rooms, including bookings and tidiness
- Arranging transport for visitors
- Organising refreshment/lunches
- Sending out weekly Customer/Visitor information
- Monitoring stock of stationery and ordering through Purchasing
- Weekly Fire Alarm testing
- Monitor and maintain office space, replenish stock as required in kitchens/toilets – liaise with cleaner as required
- Administrative support to departments as required
Key Job Skills:
- Strong communication skills – both face to face and on the telephone
- Good administration skills on Microsoft Office suite
- Hardworking, flexible and adaptable
- Organised and presentable
- Ability to multitask
- Able to work independently and be pro-active
- Polite, friendly and outgoing personality
- Team player who is supportive of their colleagues
Working at PAA
We offer a stimulating and challenging working environment, where development timescales are short and the specifications demanding. These are excellent opportunities to join a company that’s exciting and continues to grow!
For all our job roles we require:
- Good presentation skills and effective communication
- Ability to work as part of a small team to aggressive timescales and with meticulous attention to detail
- Self-motivation and accustomed to getting on with tasks, with a thirst for new technologies and using the best tools for the job
- You will be bright, conscientious and creative with an ability to demonstrate a hobby or interest with a practical or technical relevance
If you would like to apply for any of the above vacancies, please contact PAA